Friday, April 12, 2013

First of all I would like to thank my blogging friends for their encouraging comments on my last entry. I really do appreciate it and I thank you!

When I started writing this I had asked if anybody had heard from Nancy, then I decided to send her an email. She responded the next day. She is fine. Some computer problems but that's all. She also left a comment on my previous rather whiny post. She's a friend from back in the days of Spaces. And I'm glad she ok.

As you may or may not know I work in a supermarket. Specifically the deli. There are times when I have to work the counter. It's part of the job and that's ok. However, after doing this for nearly 42 years it only takes one twit to set me off saometimes. Not that I go into a Basil Fawlty rant .In case you don't know, Basil Fawlty was the main character in the  British comedy series starring John Cleese called Fawlt Towers. Just about my favorite  television comedy along with Cheers and not just because it was set in Boston. It was genuinely funny. OK I just went off on a tangent. Anyway I asked this woman what she would like. She then pointed at what she wanted. Now from behind the counter I can't see what she is pointing at so I asked her again if she could tell me what she wanted because I can't see. Now she gets annoyed and forcefully points and says "This!"
Now I'm getting annoyed and walk around front. She says "This!" again.
What was so hard about saying low salt ham. The biggest word had four letters. This type of behavior happens more than you would think and it seems to have become more prevalent in recent years. I guess it's just getting to me. I think people are just more distracted these days. They seem to have forgotten how to comunicate face to face. They are all wrapped up in their phones. Staring at the little screens unaware of the surroundings. Walking into traffic. Funny how these devices of communication, fantastic as they are, really don't always bring people together, rather they seem to isolate them from the outside world. I have texted a few times and it is a remarkable way to send a quick message but I work with people who are constantly running into the corner to stare at their phones and typing back something. More than likely it's a generational thing. I certainly remember when I was young, we were such an oddball generation compared to our parents. We grew our hair long and listened to very different music than our parents. We were so different than the World War II generation of our parents. I am by no means knocking the younger generation, well maybe a little, but I think that constant attention to a little screen while trying to perform life's more mundane tasks that involves interacting with fellow human beings like shopping, walking or driving rates as annoying to dangerous. 

Well sorry about that little rant. I had a few annoying people to deal with at work and I just had to let off a little steam.

Here's a video I made the night of the blizzard. It's off the television. I just held the camera as I sat on the couch over the course of an hour. It's not an hour long. It's about 11 minutes. The temperature dropped about 8 degrees in about an hour Sometimes it's a little out of focus and shaky and though I have tripod I didn't use it because I didn't think about it. It's a reminder of that storm as the weather slowly improves. It's just a little slice of local television news about one big pain in the ass storm that's thankfully just a memory now.
 Well I sort of just rambled on (the checks in the mail Carole) with this post. I'm off tomorrow and am going tot the movies. More than likely to see 42 The Jackie Robinson story. It looks to be quite good. Time to get ready for bed.
I'm outta here.

6 comments:

  1. I was beginning to think that spring would never come but I saw all kinds of things in bloom yesterday. They may have their little bottom ends frozen tonight as we are to have widespread frost.
    Hang in there Paul! It won't be long before you can retire.
    That was quite some blizzard that you all had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that was quite a Blizzard pretty scary stuff.
    Enjoy your encounters with those customers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to have my ham sliced thin - very thin, not shaved! That's too thick! Thinner - Oops, too thin. I only wanted 1/2 pound. You went way over. Please take some off... never mind, we'll eat it. Did you have gloves on when you sliced it? Why aren't you wearing them now? I'm not finished ordering...I'd like some American cheese and please put paper between every slice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That blizzard just makes me feel cold. Hey, I loved the rant. Feel the same way. Too often I feel no one is really listening to each other. You can be sitting and talking to someone and a little beep sends them right to the phone and a few minutes typing is some nonsense as they usually tell me the funny message they got.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will watch here in a minute but yes, people are more and more rude and insular...fancy for saying withdrawn into the wonderful world of the smartphone. Can you NOT let GO of the thing for 1 minute people??? I was part of the generation you spoke of and even wore the long gowns and parted in the middle hair. There are some things about the era I miss still. However..moving on..I love the rants and in a way I wish you'd do more. I said "in a way" because I know that you would have to be annoyed first.then the rant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you indeed getting your easy on? Inquiring cats want to know.

    ReplyDelete