Wednesday, April 17, 2013

At the moment all other blog subjects are trivial.

First of all I would like to say that I am aware how some people around the country may feel about Boston and Massachusetts. Sometimes we may come across as smug and toot our own horns about all we have and I guess I am guilty of this as well. On the other hand we do have so much to be proud of. I am more proud than ever now. Despite the horrible events of a few days ago, to watch people rush towards the areas of the bombings without regard for their lives to try and assist the injured. The coordination at a moments notice of all the medical personnel, who fortunately happened to be there because of the marathon, and just everyday people risking their lives to help the injured. I'm not saying that this wouldn't have happened in any other American city because it has. Atlanta in 1996. New York, at the twin towers, a much larger tragedy. Yet it is a tribute to the people and personnel in the medical community that more people didn't die. It is a tribute to the world class hospitals in the area. It is a tribute to the city. I defy anyone who has walked the freedom trail to not get choked up when you walk passed the grave of Sam Adams. Not some character on a beer bottle but the actual Sam Adams who agitated the people in the Old South Church to dump tea in the harbor to defy the tyranny of the British. The reigning super power in the world at the time. Walk by the grave of John Hancock. Benjamin Franklins parents.The site of the  Boston massacre. The Old North Church, "One if by land two if by sea." Then go to the Lexington Green where the first shots of the American Revolution. This is America's birthplace and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

I am also touched by the outpouring of support from all around the country, even the world. There's no greater rivalry in sports than the New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox and yet at a game in Yankee Stadium they played "Sweet Caroline" the Red Sox theme song and New York stood united with Boston and flashed both team logo's on the big screens saying something like we're with you Boston. In fact the whole country has thrown there support behind Boston. It makes me proud to be a Bostonian and more importantly it makes me proud to be American. This will not stop us as Americans. This will not stop us as Bostonians. We have more big events coming up. There's the Fourth of July Boston Pops Concert and fireworks by the Charles River. That also draws huge crowds. Surely there will have to be new restriction. It is the sign of the times we live in, but the concert will go on. There's the First Night Celebration on New Years Eve. Something that once again, began here in Boston and spread across the country. We as a nation cannot let these cowardly acts stop us. They can only strengthen our resolve. Despite all our problems, acts like these don't weaken us, it brings us more together.

As I mentioned in my previous post, this has touched me personally. The third victim grew up around the corner from where I presently live. Her family still lives there. My lady friend Arlene knows the family. Her daughters went to school with the young lady. Moreover, one of Arlene's daughters goes to the marathon every year to cheer on the runners, hand out water and so on. This year, for whatever reason, she decided not to go and everyone is grateful for that.

There is a police presence everywhere in my city. I have not been to downtown Boston but from what I see on the news the city is full of police both local and state as well as the National Guard and the F.B.I. and I'm sure there are other governmental agencies as well. It's not a sight you like to see in America but I guess it's reassuring none the less.

The above was written early in the morning on Wednesday. It is now about 7:45 Wednesday evening. I have been watching local news and CNN. I just watched and interview with some Boston Police and an E.m.t. What heroes! They along with firefighters from a firehouse that's right there and plain civilians rushed towards the blast area not away. In an instant you saw the worst of humanity and the best.

I guess I will wrap this up now. When I get the time I am going to make a slide show of my beautiful Boston. I know I have posted many of these pictures in the past both here and on the late lamented Live Spaces but I don't care. Despite my sadness and anger I am more proud of my city than ever and I want to share my beautiful Boston.

Thank you everyone.

6 comments:

  1. Bless you Paul. You have every right to be a proud Bostonian! I will be looking forward to the slide show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too am looking forward to your slides. How wonderfully you express your pain and proudness through your sensitive words, with full rights to do so. All of us are connected and more so every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have expressed the feelings of the majority of Americans eloquently Paul. Your Boston has every right to be proud of itself. It should caring and courage the perpetrator of this act didn't have. I am looking forward to your slides also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by again just to let you and Arlene know that you remain in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul, this is one of the couple of times I wish I could call you. I can't but I will tell you that you and certainly Boston is onmy mind continually.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said Paul look forward to your Video you have every right to be Proud.

    ReplyDelete