Sunday, January 25, 2015

I'm apreciating things..the blizzard not so much.

I have a habit, among many habits, of starting a blog one day just because I like to write. I'm no writer but I do like to do it. Well all that has nothing to do with what I may or may not write. What first got me to fire up the old laptop was while I was checking out some information on Zakim Bunker Hill Bridge in Boston. I live in the area. I remember when they were talking about "The Big Dig" around 1980. In retrospect what happened over those years from the early 80's to the mid 2000's was pretty spectacular.

I just wanted some information for my own knowledge because, hey I live here. Well as I read about how long it took to build, when it opened, I clicked on a link for Yelp. It's a website I have never used but it's a place where you can give your opinion on just about anything and apparently the Zakim Bridge was a topic. I clicked on it and read what people thought of it. What I found interesting is what people who weren't from around here had to say. But this blog, or at least this part of the blog, isn't about the bridge.
After I read the various opinions I came to a link for the Old North Church. Well I clicked on it, curious to see what people would say about it. Once again I was interested in what people who weren't from around here had to say. Most people who weren't from Ma. or New England, talked about how this was the spot where the lanterns were set in the steeple that set Paul Revere off on his ride. They felt the sense of history as to what happened here and how it set off the Revolutionary War and the birth of the United States.  I went there for the first time around 2006-2007 and I've lived in the area all my life. Shame on me. People from California talking about how this was the place that they read about in their history books. 

I've never walked the Freedom Trail. I've been to various spots along it. There's Paul Revere's House in the North End. And I do recommend highly that if anybody who reads this, comes to Boston, do set aside one meal for a meal in the North End. Any restaurant, bakery, café or pastry shop will be wonderful. If you like Italian food, all varieties, you won't go wrong. Every city has it's locales known for certain kinds of food and if it's Italian, it's the North End when in Boston. My uncle used to have a store there so I went there a few times when I was young but I never went to Paul Revere's House. It was literally around the corner. Revere's ride was re-enacted every year when I was young. We lived on Main St. at the time and that was part of Revere's route to Lexington and Concord. Big deal. Well it is because people who visit and see the places where things happened, appreciate it. I took it for granted. 

I know the history, but when I was younger I just thought, "Yeah the Constitution is 5 miles that way, so what." The upshot of all this historical blather is it's that it's only been in the last 10 years that I've come to appreciate what I have around me. If you are from out of town there is a lot appreciate here. I also admit to enjoying reading all the nice things people had to say about the city.  

I guess this applies to more than just to where you live, it applies to family, friends, even animals. Appreciate while you can. I am learning this at this stage of my life but better late than never.

Now for some serious stuff. As I write this we around here are waiting for a blizzard. 24-30 inches of snow. Uh oh! Maybe I won't be going to work on Tuesday Morning or Wednesday for that matter. And the word blizzard implies lots of wind. Blizzards are not one of the Boston area's more endearing qualities, but it's not the first one and it won't be the last one. In some respects I am looking forward to it. As long as the electricity doesn't go out. You stay indoors. Watch nature bringing everything to a stop outside. Perhaps indulge in a favorite beverage possibly an adult beverage. There's not much else to do except relax and watch the show. You do have to eventually deal with it and I'm not looking forward to the snow removal and driving around in the stuff but you gotta do what you gotta do. 

Getting back to my previous topic, I do admit that I love Boston. More now than before. It's a nice place to live despite the usual problems of a densely populated area and sometimes dodgy weather. And I appreciate my sisters and my wonderful relationship with Arlene. I appreciate that though I didn't retire completely, I have been able to cut down on my work load and sort things out a bit. It's a time that I have done more reflecting back. Mainly because I now have some back to reflect upon. 

Ok I think I'm going to wrap this sucker up. I have a dentist appointment at 8 A.M. I will have to contact work and inform them that they probably won't see me on Tuesday or Wednesday. Snow is part of the winter and there is fun to had despite all that wretched shoveling. I think back to when I was a kid and how a snowstorm or blizzard was a good and fun thing. Not so much now but it's not that bad. It's a time you really can't do much and watch nature just do what it wants.

Perhaps some popcorn.
I'm outta here.




                

6 comments:

  1. Isn't it interesting as children we memorized history for tests and our lack of interest? Interest varies at various ages I guess. I have learned more of your area in your photos and videos than any schooling I've had. I thank you for that. I find I am learning of areas in the world from bloggers. I hope you won't be swamped with snow. But it is what it is right? Hope you have some wine left. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you and all that Blizzard that is coming..hope you keep the power on and have no trees down there. Stay warm and safe. Looking forward to your post and photos too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up near Morristown NJ and there was Washington's Headquarters there - a nice large mansion but never went through it. There was Jockey Hollow Park (now a state park) where Washington's soldier's camped and my Girl Scout Troop did go there several times. I wasn't interested in history at all then. It was just memorizing dates and places of events. Now I like history and you are fortunate to have it so available to you where you live. Well, I await your report of the 2015 blizzard. Be safe. Hunker in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boston Boy, I have been thinking of you since this blizzard has been in the news. I would just stay home, if I were you. I read Susan Branch's blog...have you checked it out??? She lives on Martha's Vineyard...she says her house was built by a ship captain and weathered 166 winters. So she is ready for the worst. I love all the history of your town. Go enjoy it every chance you get. Take care...do not over do in this weather.. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Post Paul! That is how I first learned about The Big Dig, in a forum for of all things The Young and the Restless. LOL..One of the members kept mentioning the Big Dig and posting pictures and I was fascinated.
    Stay safe in the storm!! By the way this was a guy from Boston posting in the forum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post a lot to be thankful for , maybe your dream will come true, one day.
    Take care in the terrible weather , looks pretty bad in the News today.

    ReplyDelete