Tuesday, January 27, 2015

A holiday at home

I begin this cement mixer blog at approximately 10:50 A.M. e.s.t. The storm is still going strong, but all is well. Everyone is accounted for. Yes it is a snowstorm/blizzard, and it is nasty outside. It's also completely quiet except for the wind. At this point plows have been down my street twice. This was Monday morning, before all this got started. We had a bit of snow then, we have a lot of snow right now.
 
This was Monday Jan. 26 around 4:30 P.M.
 
This is about 7 A.M. Tuesday morning.
 



  
It's now about 1:45 P.M. It's still snowing. Some people are out trying clean up a bit. I hear a snow blower and see a guy across the street shoveling as it snows and the wind blows. I think they're out of their minds. From this point on as I write, it will continue to snow until midnight.

So far, despite the guy out there with his snow blower going, It's snowing and it is quiet...except for the guy with his snow blower.
Some people just don't know how to relax. I wish he would relax. He won't be able to go anywhere until Wed. or Thurs. anyway. It could keep snowing until midnight.

'
 

I'm having a fine time. I'm not lifting a finger clearing snow away until it's finally over. The wind is swirling. Some cars are covered some cars don't have much snow on them at all.

This is a shot of the house next door. Where Arlene lives. Taken about noon on Tues.

 I find this as a little holiday. Nobody can overrule the weather except if you work for the city or state dpw. I've taken a few pictures, mostly through the windows. I haven't been outside and don't plan to until tomorrow. At this point, 2:40 in the afternoon we have approximately 8-20 inches of snow with many hours to go. People along certain parts of the coast are having a much worse time than we are having.

So I'm having a lovely day. This all hinges on retaining power. So far there aren't many people without power around here. Nantucket has lost all their power. Parts of the coast are really getting battered. It's quite a storm.

Last night I was next door at Arlene's. Her Twin daughters were home. I brought over a bottle of wine. A bottle I bought on a whim. It wasn't real expensive at $12.99. It was from film director Francis Ford Coppola's vineyard. I like wine but I am not very knowledgeable. Arlene knows much more than I. We sat on her coach watching brainless, but at times, amusing collection of Super Bowl commercials. One of her twin daughters was showering after work the other was working on the cities web site from the kitchen.
The wine was quite tasty. I actually tasted the blueberry notes it mentioned on the label. It's a California wine. Of Course at this point in the evening, about 10 P.M., I was quite relaxed and very grateful that all I had to do was walk next door. 

On my short trip home the wind was blowing. There were swirls and divot's in the snow as wind blew snow around some cars and things and piled it up on other cars and things.

Today I am just sitting around watching the show. No need to get worked up. This is Boston, well real close. It's winter. This has happened before. You take it seriously because you should. Prior storms have taught us things. We have learned. Though it's been around 21 hours of snow we still have six to nine hours left as of this writing. For the rest of today I am staying in enjoying the ability to do something or nothing.

I've eaten,
I've drunk,
and I do feel a bit merry.
I'm outta here.

    

5 comments:

  1. Boston Boy, Glad to see you have posted I have been wondering how you were doing. Boston's snow looked bad on TV. NYC fair pretty well. but then as you say...it's not over. .. I just don't know if I could deal with 2 or more feet of snow at once. Not saying we have never had blizzards before...but boy I was younger. Now I would want to move. LOL. Please take care when clearing your snow...take breaks. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you would let us know you're OK. It is such a good thing that you still have power and don't live close to the coast and have all the problems there are in that area. Remember you are not a kid when you shovel and clear the snow. You must take breaks and not try to do it all in a day. Don't forget to put your hat, boots and gloves on. Bring hankies out to blow your nose so your mustache doesn't get clogged. (Yes, I'm mothering and can't help myself!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the video thought I'd see a flashlight under your chin telling the chilly news. You know of course I am joshing. Glad you are alright and have power....and wine. So be merry (oh you are already) alrighty then carry on! Check in tomorrow I'll be waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see your doing okay. That's the only way to deal with such weather. No need to get excited. Looking a some of the pictures on the news reminded me of the movie Dr. Zhivago. Happy it's not that bad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear all is well and you are coping with the Snow. A bottle of wine with Arlene sounds great glad you enjoyed the blueberry tones.
    Stay safe warm and indoors.
    Thanks for sharing the photo's and Video.

    ReplyDelete