Thursday, October 11, 2018

This is kinda disjointed

Ya know I don't blog the way I used to. By that I mean I don't jot down little thoughts. While I was still working somebody would  say something, funny, smart. thought provoking, stupid, ridiculous and so on. I'd make a note of it. The same stuff happened just in the daily passage of life. Now I have been completely retired from working. And I was lucky I worked for a company that went through many changes and owners over a 46  year span including the layoff of 700 people in the early 2000's. I sweated that one out but I still hung on to my job. I have been lucky in my life and at this point I have to accept how things turned out for me so far. I don't mean that in a negative way. I guess in this passed year I've finally realized how old I'm getting to be. I am in good health not that I work at it. I know I'm not breaking any new ground here. Everybody goes through this in some way shape or form.

Sometimes I like watching the news and watch all the drama that's going on locally and in the world  as if it's a form of entertainment.  And of course other times it's like, "Blah blah blah explosion blah blah blah dead blah blah blah cold blah blah blah Ooo that musta' hurt!" 

Being retired is a new way of life. It's not bad but it's different. As I write this I have witnessed the defeat of the hated New York Yankees by the hometown Boston Red Sox. You have to live around here to truly understand. So the Sox advance one more step to the World Series. Anyway as I was saying I am still adjusting to not working. I wish I could flit off to here, there but I guess that's just whining. Yeah that's whining.

Ok, all the above was written within the last week. As I write this particular paragraph It's Oct. 11, at about 5pm and I will be stopping to make some supper. I'm thinking of having chicken, broccoli, yellow squash with linguini. I really haven't had an ideal diet today. I was out earlier, running some errands and doing some food shopping. This is something I really dislike but you gotta eat. All those years working in a supermarket meant I didn't have to go food shopping because I was at a supermarket.

Anyway as I said somewhere in the above paragraph I haven't had an ideal diet today. After I came home from my errands I pioneered the banana and beer diet. Also, totally unrelated to my dietary habits, it's raining quite hard at the moment. And totally unrelated to the weather forecast, my friend and I were talking about things that we used to do. Ya know, old fart talk. We both grew up within walking distance of Tufts University. And both of us instantly brought up Jumbo the elephant. P.T. Barnum was one of the early benefactors to Tufts University and he donated some or all, I'm not sure, of his wild animals, stuffed of course. They were on display at the "P.T. Barnum Museum of Natural History". We both had seen Jumbo the Elephant, stuffed of course. There were other animals as well. It all went up in smoke in April 1975.
   


      


April 14, 1975

So ya know, "Voglio mangare." That's I want to eat, in Italian. I might have spelled it all wrong, but I do want to eat. Oh I have to shut up! 

I'm outtah here.

2 comments:

  1. Eating can be one of the best pleasures of retirement. You're learning. Doing anything at any time you want is another. Not doing stuff you don't want to do, when it is "supposed" to be done is OK. Carry on.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boston Boy, You crack me up at times. I know, I sometimes just ignore the news while it's blasting along. Two men running for senate here have spent enough money to feed a lots of people. No they never tell what they will do, they just tell what the other guy did or won't do. Mud sling whiney assed crap. See, you are not the only one fed up. When did America get so thinned skinned and politically correct...sick of it all. I just want to be the boss one day. LOL.
    I hate grocery shopping and thinking of what to fix for meals. It's crazy...I'd sign up for meals on wheels if I could get by with it. LOL
    The Red Sox...I have to tell this. I worked with an older fellow and he always wore those blue dickie work pants and shirts. One day he wore a Red Sox t-shirt...he really stood out and another fellow said, "Carl, you look different, did you get a haircut?" Of course everyone in the shop laughed . It was so cute. Hope your team wins. You know, since there's no Brooklyn Dodgers. LOL. I miss watching baseball with my dad.
    I think I'll read up on that fire. Blessings, xoxo, Susie
    ps - do you sometimes wish you were still working? I do at times...I think it's the being active so much. Of course I miss the strength I had then too.

    ReplyDelete