Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Did I mention that it's still...

...FRICKIN' COLD! This blog entry started but probably won't be finished on New Years day/evening. This morning it was 0 degrees. The last time the temperature was 30 was Christmas day. As I write this in the 6 PM hour in the evening, the temperature has soared to 8. There is also more snow in the forecast. Alright I know I sound just like the people I used to deal with back in my Star Market days, particularly after the weather forecasters said snow was coming and that would set off panic buying. On the other hand back in 1978, even though we were in winter, rain was predicted. Instead we got 21 inches of snow. So when a few days later another 6 inch snowstorm was predicted nobody seemed to care. Surprise! We ended up with a near 36 hour storm, 27inches more snow and 70 mph winds. This wasn't only happening in the Boston area. It was all of New England, New York, New Jersey and probably northern states in the middle of the country.
Some pictures from back then around eastern Mass.

Downtown Boston. When I was little my mother would take me to Jordan Marsh to see Santa.




By the way the restaurant behind the piles of snow, The Union Oyster House, is the oldest continuous running restaurant in the country. Since 1826.
Now while I looked up a few stats pertaining to back then I found a picture of a red fishing shack in Rockport Mass. that was supposedly famous in the art world for being painted many times over the years. It was called Motif #1. Well that was destroyed back in 1978. 
Well it was rebuilt and soon I found myself looking at pictures and paintings of it. I found myself off on another tangent. Most of the pictures are done by professional photographers. Some beautiful shots. 

  

  






And now for a completely different tangent though it does involve the ocean. There's a tradition in South Boston and in other states as well, that on New Years day a bunch of people run into the ocean. Around here they call themselves the L Street Brownies. They always show them on the news every New Years day. 



Oakee doakee. It is now Jan. 2. Oh, and did I mention it's... FRICKEN COLD! As I write this it's about 6-8 degrees. Yesterday morning, or, the beginning of this blog, it was 0 degrees.
It is being said that more snow is coming on Thursday. What are you gonna do? There's plenty to do around here, whether I do it or else is another matter.  I have no desire to go outside because it's... FRICKIN' COLD!

I'm outta here.

5 comments:

  1. I can't imagine how cold it must be. It's 10 degrees warmer here so feel your pain, and more snow? Phew. Hang in there. Thanks for stopping by. Hope you have a fantastic new year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that storm in '78 and it was AWFUL. Your post is very interesting and the pictures are so colorful and expressive. Good research! Come on over -coffee and brownies here- while we wait for the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blessings and happy new year.
    Trust me when i tell you, you haven't felt cold till you feel it from up here. Mercy, i am so glad i got my two heaters replaced in time......burrrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's cold cold here too. Not to your level but cold. Single digit warming to tees and low 20's sometimes. You never know about snow etc and I understand the panic buying although with my schedule, I rarely was off work to Panic buy. And when they brought me into work..I wound up staying 18 hrs. or are...I would have loved being made fun of by the cashiers if I could only have gotten there. Sometimes the snow is just bad enough...or ice comes instead and you are at a standstill. Ya never know. Better to be safe than sorry. Right? Right.
    Haven't been called to SC for the memorial service for my brother yet. Surely any time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The red fishing shack great paintings, and good research on your half.
    The snow came the after New Years Day I take , chilled to the bone seeing those guys going in to the sea Agh!!

    ReplyDelete