Thursday, January 4, 2018

I gotta get the bread and milk!

We who work or have worked in the supermarket business and live in an area the receives snow know all about stocking up on essentials, particularly bread and milk. The bread aisle and the milk case are invariably wiped out. Now while you are working at the market it is you duty to make fun of everybody in the middle of a panic buying binge. Well it will be one year on Jan.5 that I will have been retired. I went out yesterday and got bread and milk. I just want to say that it's not me in the video.   
The market lot was packed. As I walked toward the entrance I noticed that the place where the shopping carts (around here they are often called  carriages) are kept...empty. Uh oh. Then again why should I be surprised especially after 46 years in the business. It didn't really matter to me as a hand basket would suit my needs. There was plenty of milk and bread in stock at the time I went in. I only got a few things a couple of cans of pinto beans, a couple of cans of Progresso soup, some garlic though I did forget spinach. I don't sound too Italian. Pasta fagiole (beans and macaroni) tonight. Once again I have begun writing this the morning on Jan. 4 whether I publish today, tonight or tomorrow remains to be seen. 

It's now around noon and it's coming down at quite a pace. Around here we're supposed to get about a foot of snow. I am not looking forward to going out later and shoveling.  I suppose I could call Arlene next door and we could start drinking early. 

The video below is simply recorded off the television by pointing the camera at it, late morning early afternoon and a couple clips out my bedroom window. It's no academy award winner.


Later that night...

Check out the snazzy car the wind and snow customized.

At about 9 pm the driveway has been plowed and all the shoveling is finally done. I am one tired BostonBoy.

This was this morning Jan. 5.

As I write this It's still FRICKEN COLD but the wind is making it FRICKIN' worse. Now cold weather is nothing new around here but we are on our way to 0 degrees and less tonight and tomorrow and that's not factoring 50+ mph winds. It is sunny though!

Watching television you could see all the news and weather people were there for the long haul. They began making mistakes. Snowmobilers became "snowmobowlers". Local officials-local offishush and my favorite. What was supposed to be "clean the main arteries" became, "clean the main artilleries".

I did go out for about an hour and I have to give all the plow people credit. I think they did a great job on all the main roads, excuse me, the main artilleries. The smaller side streets are tough to deal with. Lots of people and lots of cars. I should have taken my camera with me and made a little movie driving around. Including two of the oldest streets in the city dating back to 1630. One was part of the "highway to Boston". It's not picturesque in any way with several auto dealerships, restaurants, maybe a technical type or two company, Medical building etc. and a view of a bit of the Boston skyline.   

Alright it's taken two days to put this extravaganza together and I'm going to wrap it up.
I'm outta here.    





6 comments:

  1. Dear one tired Boston Boy, As I read your post aloud to the Mister, I started laughing and couldn't stop! You are funny! Yes, we watched your news video yesterday on YouTube. It sure is a good thing that we don't have to shovel the mess - at least not yet! Yes, he went to the store for milk. We have bread in the freezer. Milk and Beer was his mission!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Boston Boy wow yes Did hear about the snow over the pond. Colder than normal I guess snow ploughs are indeed doing a great job.
    3c here today I think you guys really know how to handle this kind of weather.
    Sounds like a great idea , you and Arlene having that drink.
    Take care and stay warm .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi had to sign anonymous , lost password for now.
    Sheila England thanks for popping over .

    ReplyDelete
  4. This takes me back to Spaces days when you DID get the camera and take us on a ride. That was fun! I'm glad it's only once in a few years we get a good snow like that. Nowadays I just have to hope someone will volunteer to shovel my driveway if it gets over a few inches.

    Back a long time ago when I smoked...it was bread and cigarettes I was anxious to get! Milk? What was THAT I always thought. One day I quit cold turkey. Then it became bread and milk. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boston, Boy, I loved the video about the milk and bread...so funny. I thought about you the whole time. I always pray for better than the weather man says...cause he is scary with those feet of snow and 60 mile an hour winds. Yikes. But I saw flooded streets in all that winter horror , on the news. Please stay safe...you do know shoveling rules. slow, take breaks, do not over do. Today it finally got to 37...that is like a heat wave after 14 days of below zero mornings. Blessings to you and Arlene, take care of each other. xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blessings.......
    I haven't brought bread in a while. Why you may ask, well because i usually bake my own. This year my Christmas presents comprised of freshly baked bread as I was tapped out after replacing both my heating/air conditioning units.

    I baked 20 loafs of bread and distributed to my friends and loved ones, that was all in my budget this year.

    ReplyDelete