Friday, December 29, 2017

Snow, cold...

We got some snow a couple of days ago. Not a lot like some parts of the country just enough to be a nuisance. It's also been quite cold. Roughly two degrees last night. Well the snow got me to thinking of a tradition around here and I wondered if it existed anyplace else. This is a fairly densely populated area and if you don't have a driveway you have to rely on street parking. Well when the snow starts piling up spaces become scarcer. So if you've taken the time to shovel out your car parked on the street you claim that space as yours and further stake your claim by putting a chair in the space. Could be a kitchen chair or a lawn chair. I've seen a baby carriage anyway as I began to look for various items left as space savers in the Boston area I discovered that this is not something particular to this area. Other cities who regularly get snow do the same thing. I found plenty of pictures but I only took the ones from Boston though they do the same thing in Pittsburg, Philadelphia, Chicago and so on.
                                     







 
Christmas was a real toned down affair. In fact because of my sisters situation with her husband we did nothing. Arlene and I essentially just went out dinner, went back to her house and killed a bottle of wine. In a way it was refreshing not having to deal with shopping. Did I mention that as I write this it's FRIKKIN' COLD! Seven degrees as I write this not counting the "wind chill" factor.
On Mt. Washington in New Hampshire (12-28-2017) it was 34 degrees below 0 with winds of 100 miles an hour. In the video clip this guy went outside of the Mt. Washington Observatory with boiling water and watched it instantly turn to snow.
 
I could never go into Boston for the First Night celebration particularly with weather like this. I don't know how people do it? There could be, depending on the weather, anywhere from 300,000 to 1,000,000 people in town.
I can now rest a little easier as the temperature has risen to 8. Anyway I hope everybody has had a nice Christmas or whatever you celebrate. It's time for me to get my act together and actually do something productive. I'll visit around and see if I can get Arlene to invite me over for supper. Hey it's worth a shot.
I'm outta here.  

9 comments:

  1. I have seen snow been on a couple of snow holidays but it doesn't snow here today it is warm and muggy/sticky and I have a headache just thought I would throw that in there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boston Boy, I loved all the space holders...but honestly some one would use my toilet if I had one sitting to save a place. LOL. I just know it. I saw that clip of boiling water turning to snow instantly. Crazy cold. !! I used to go to our local clubs to new year's parties...but no more. It's nicer to stay home and enjoy ourselves. I hope Arlene invites you to dinner. I was sorry to read that about what is happening with your BIL and your sister. Illness effects whole families. So thankful you and Arlene are best pals. You sure have been there for each other. I would like to wish you both a New Year of good health and lots of happy times...more trips to the Vineyard. Blessings friend, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure got chuckle seeing all of the "imaginative" items out there to save a parking space. How does that work? Do you pull up beside your saved place, put the item on the sidewalk, get back in the car and park? What do you do with the toilet after you've parked? That's a P.I.A.! I'm going to go outdoors and blow bubbles to see them freeze in the air! Happy New Year and best wishes for good times throughout the seasons to come. P.S.Don't use a blowtorch to thaw out your pipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I could follow you via email, I would be back more often

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I remember you too. Hello. Interesting the things put out. I know a few neighborhoods in the city here where a lot of it would come up missing (sad to say). Where I live we pretty much have enough driveway room that we don't worry about it. My drive can park 4 or 5 cars. Well gotta go. Will try and check back now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When we first moved here and I was about to have a baby, my husband went out and shoveled a place so he could get the car out to go to work. Came home, and the across the street neighbor was in it. He sure went to the door and told him to get out if he had a decent bone on his body as his wife was due any minute. The guy moved. An Englishman. Sure enough we went to the hospital about 9 that night. Never occurred to put anything there. I wonder if it would have worked?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey that made me laugh Boston Boy all those goodies on their parking area. Never seen that before . Wishing you both well and a Happy New Year. Stay arm.
    Sheila England .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blessings.....
    My Christmas was nice, quiet, filled with love and laughter.

    ReplyDelete