Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Hello. I just called to say I've snapped my twig. Plus history is all around me and I take it for granted.

 So I was just sitting their playing Risk on my computer and the phone rings. By the little screen I see that it is Arlene calling. Now normally I hate the phone. Not because of the intrinsic use of the phone, staying in touch with friends and loved ones, but for all the calls I receive from basically people who want a piece of me in terms of money or want to sell me something to take care of incontinence, life insurance, medical insurance, basically they  want to sell me something. But Wait! It's not some bottom feeding money leech, the little screen tells me it's Arlene! I answer and say hello. She says "Hi."

Then in a frantic, high pitched, high speed, screechy voice she began screaming,                                                      
 "Oooo! Ahhhh! No! Go away! Nooo!  Leave me  alone! Go away! Ahhhh! Nooo!" and so on. 
What had I done? What does she think I did? Has she snapped her twig? Everything seemed fine the evening before!? Well she soon calmed down. It appears that I was innocent of any transgressions. She was calling from her front porch and as I answered my phone and she briefly responded a bee began flying around her head. I have to admit I enjoy retelling this little episode to friends and family and she was good enough to laugh it off. It gave all a good laugh.

A couple of blogs ago I wrote about a new restaurant in town called Real Gusto. Now right across the street is a historic house called the Issac Hall house built in 1720. Paul Revere stopped here on his ride to warn Issac Hall that the British regulars were coming from Boston. Capt. Issac Hall was in charge of the local Minute Men. Now I have witnessed the Paul Revere re-enactment a few times in my life. And when Arlene and I went to the restaurant we got a parking space right in front of the old house, which by the way is now a funeral home. None of the pictures below are mine.

The Gaffey Funeral home.


  

As I got out of the car (Arlene drove) I looked over the white fence on the right side of the house and I saw this.

Sometimes I forget all the history that's around here. I take it for granted.


Issac Hall is being portrayed by a high school student.



That's the location of the restaurant behind the horse's head. It wasn't there at the time of this photo. Of course I'm referring to the restaurant not the horses head.  That's not the handsomest horse I've ever seen.
 
And literally a couple of blocks down the street, in the opposite direction that Paul is traveling, is this plaque.
One more thing that I recently learned is that Fannie Farmer lived here and Amelia Earhart lived here for a few years with her sister, who lived here her entire life. Who knew?  
 
So that's it for the moment.
I'm outta here.
 

3 comments:

  1. Boston Boy, OMG poor Arlene. I bet you give that girl fits. Yes, that would sound like the beginning of a scary call. Glad it was only a bee. ;):) I loved the history stories. I think that is so interesting. Hope you are getting out and enjoying your fall. You know what around the corner coming soon...shh...winter. I am never ready, the older I get the less I like winter. Blessings to you and Arlene, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now THAT'S the way to teach history. It was one of my hated subjects in middle school - or maybe it was the teacher. You are now my history teacher. I hope you don't mind because I really like reading about your city's background and seeing the wonderful pictures. I think too many of us take history for granted and that is a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is wonderful! Never know what's in our own back yard! 😁

    ReplyDelete