Friday, September 15, 2017

Real Gusto

So guess what? We went to another restaurant. It's right in the center of town and has been there since 2015. I was mistaken on my last blog when I said it was a few months old. This couple came to the U.S. a few years and visited New England. They particularly liked Boston and the surrounding area because they thought there was a certain European flair to the area. They were also surprised at how many Italians lived in Boston and the suburbs. Long story not so long we went there last night ( Thursday 9/14 in case I don't finish this today) and we were knocked out. It's a lovely place that overlooks the river in the back. I'm not sure that opening these doors on a hot, steamy summer day would be a great idea. The owners were most gracious and the food was out of this world! It was Mediteranian. Arlene had chicken masala and I had a simple dish of homemade raviolis stuffed with ricotta, beef and pork with a simple but delicious red sauce. Both meals were outstanding! Then we did something we never do, we had desert. Arlene had tiramisu and I had the cannoli. On top of that the coffee was out of this world! Here are some pictures I got off the restaurant website.

The owners at the back of the restaurant that overlooks the river.


 
 

 
  

    

The imported this pizza oven from Italy. And though we didn't have pizza their pizzas looked wonderful.
 


 
 
 
We did however have an appetizer called arancini (orange in color and shape, which are fried rice balls stuffed with mozzarella, beef, pork and peas. They were as good if not better than others I have had.


Here are some pictures of other appetizers that I have no idea what they are called. These dishes could serve as main courses I suppose.

 

 


Some pasta dishes.
 

 
Pasta Fagiole or beans and macaroni. I grew up with this dish. I still make it. 

The deserts. I had the cannoli's, well most of them. One had crushed chocolate, the other had crushed hazelnuts. Arlene had tiramisu. I don't think I have a picture of it but I can assure you it was delicious.

 
I'm not sure what this is but I'll bet it's tasty.


I have to admit that this looks like a devil dog with chocolate syrup.
 
 

 
I'm not sure what the next two deserts are but I'll bet they're good.
 
 
 
 
I'm not sure if this is a desert or an appetizer.
 
 
You could also buy their fresh homemade pasta made from imported flour. What difference that makes is beyond me. On the right you can see the ravioli that I had. There were other displays of imported items.
 
 
Ten or fifteen years ago this city had the usual array of fast food places and pizza parlors. There was an Italian restaurant which has been around for at least as long as I have. It's in the south part of the city, not surprisingly, the Italian part of the city. There's nothing wrong with this restaurant but parking is an issue. It's more of a neighborhood place. You can't park on the side streets because you have to have a neighborhood parking sticker. But there are more than enough people in the neighborhood to keep this place going though I would have to say Real Gusto is a step above. Aside from that place if you wanted a really good meal you had to travel a bit. Add a hotel because of our close proximity to Boston and presto a whole bunch of very good restaurants. They probably won't all survive but the economy around here is doing well at the moment and it's good to see the city buzzing with activity even though getting around can be tough. Below  
 
So I have to say Arlene and I may have found a new favorite restaurant. The food and deserts were wonderful. The restaurant was nicely decorated. The staff was friendly with one young lady sporting what we would call a southern accent. It's a bit pricey. The most expensive meal was $26,00. Add in a drink or two, an appetizer and it can add up. Still we will go again just not for a few weeks.  Below is a video on the restaurant from YouTube. Below that is a link to a video on the restaurant's web page. The owners tell the story of coming to this country and opening their restaurant. At this point I don't know if it work.
Oh well I guess I'm outta here.
 
http://www.realitaliangusto.com/video 

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boston Boy, Most here in America...think because they've had pizza or spaghetti , that they have eaten Italian. I think you probably had the real deal for your night out. Once you retire , you have to think about your budget...Ted and I rarely eat too fancy. LOL. I could see going to this place for your special times. The food looked really good. You need to post your recipe for the pasta fagiole.. I have never heard of it.:) Blessings for a great new week. It's to warm up here again. xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. The food looks absolutely delicious, and the photos are awesome. I enjoyed the post, as usual. Glad you and Arlene enjoyed yourselves.

    Wishing you both a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all looks so grand, and the food and environment very special indeed. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of that looks amazing. I'm jealous. ;-)

    ReplyDelete