Friday, March 3, 2017

So where have I been?

So where have I been? Right here! The one thing, among others, that I have noticed is that I have a lot more time on my hands to do a lot less. One thing I do more of is go to the supermarket. I noticed that you have to if you want to keep eating. Apart from occasionally accompanying a friend or a family member to do some food shopping, I never went food shopping because for 46 years I worked in a supermarket. Below is the view from the parking lot of my favorite store and the store that I worked in the longest. I still have many friends there. I worked there a total 18 years including 2000-2011. I also remember seeing Julia Child in there a couple of times as she lived in the area. She was tall! She always drew a crowd. I never personally never had to deal with her. I just couldn't see her coming to the deli counter and asking for "a half pound of baloney and a quarter pound of American cheese."
Across the street is the wonderful Mt. Auburn Cemetery. This place draws tourists from around the world. 170 or so beautifully landscaped, rolling acres. It is stunning particularly in the Fall. If any of you ever make it to Boston this is a must see.  It's the first cemetery of it's kind in the country.


I know I've mentioned the store and the cemetery before and I've already mentioned before that the above store used to be another chain before Star moved in the 1950's. Back in 1860 this building was a carriage house and stable for public transportation (horse and carriage) and later as a maintenance, storage and turn a round facility for electric trollies. Electric busses still travel up and down the street.
Now back to our story...

I do have much more time on my hands and about the most strenuous thing I've done is grow a beard. I only grew one because I couldn't while working with food though that's not completely truthful. I could grow one but I would have to wear a snood. A snood is basically a hairnet for your chin. No thanks.
I don't mind getting older, especially considering the alternative, I just don't want to get "old". 

The weather has been typical New England. Last Saturday it was nearly 70 degrees, this Saturday (tomorrow as I write this) it will be single digits at least early on. We could even get some snow. It does amuse me how some people act when they hear it's going to snow. Like it never happened before. This spring I would like to explore my hometown. It's a old as Boston, whose border is only about 4 miles from here. There are 4 roads here that date back to 1630, one originally called "the highway to Boston".

Arlene has recovered well from the procedures she had about 2 months ago. We have talked about future vacations more than likely to you know where, though New Hampshire is a possibility as the state line is only 20 something miles from here. Arlene is more familiar with New Hampshire than I am.

It's been a while since I've been here. I started a couple of blogs but they went nowhere. I even thought about shutting it down but I can't do it because it's been part of my life for about 9 years. I do miss some friends from the days of Spaces. There are only a couple left and of course I miss Beth. I still have the last few emails she sent me and the birthday cards. She told me about the fascination she had with the Zakim Bridge that was built during the notorious "big dig' here in the Boston area. I miss that dear lady.
  
At least Arlene and I can laugh at ourselves and we have been doing that. We caught ourselves going out dinner earlier and earlier. I then realized that I used to make fun of the older folks going out to dinner on the early side and now we do it. Mostly because of parking. For me it has nothing to do with getting to bed early. I still am and always have been a night owl. And due to all those years of working, I am still an early riser. If I make it to 7 a.m. I've slept late though that may change in the coming months.

So all in all I'm doing fine. Arlene is doing fine as well and to contradict what I wrote in the above paragraph we are going out to dinner this evening but it won't be until around 7p.m. Hmmm...I'm leaning towards Italian.

I'm outta here.    


    

3 comments:

  1. Glad you are still around and I really would like to see your beard! As for winter, we too are getting through it - always do. Heavy squalls today. Daffodils poked up last week but are now snow covered. Good to know you both are doing fine now and making plans to take a vacation soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boston Boy, You made me laugh , about going out to eat early. I always have to eat early ...I get acid reflux if I eat too heavy too late. Old you know. LOL. I thought about Beth today also. I'm glad we remember her. That is where I picked up your bog, at hers. Life is short my friend ...we better enjoy everyday. I guess when you worked at the market, you would just buy as you needed things, never any set time to grocery shop. When I was young, I would dress nicely to go shopping as if going to church. Mainly because I never got to go anywhere else. Now I always dress decently wear make-up and have my hair done to go to the store...but, now I actually hate shopping. LOL Paul, please keep your beard trimmed...don't turn into one of ZZ Top band members. LOL. Blessings, xoxo, Susie
    p.s. Hug Arlene for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to see your beard too! How about it? Funny, we are all thinking about Beth. Me too. I still have the last several emails as well. I always will. I remember your featuring that bridge for her as it was in its beginning stages. She loved it. I have always worked 12-16 hour shift rotation so I tend to eat earlyish and fast. The kids came up that way too and are consciously slowing themselves these past years. When you spend your time seeing your mom moving in fast motion all the time when she is home (and it was that way at work too)...you tend to so as you see. But they have learned to slow down. I can't eat late partly because of the same reason as Susie. My stomach won't allow me to rest comfortably hours later when I go to bed.

    So...I join the early birds. Embarrassing but...ya gotta do what ya gotta do,.

    I recall your showing us that gorgeously landscaped cemetery back in Spaces. It was breathtaking. You took us everywhere in Boston that you knew we would have heard of and would love to see. I and the rest of the Spaces family all looked forward to where you took us and we loved the videos you did as you were driving too...especially the snow. Hey! I am writing a blog here!

    ReplyDelete