Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Whale watch and problems with me teeth.

Hi! Remember me? Well it has been a busy few weeks for me. Let me get the tooth issues out of the way. Saturday I was at work. Two days before I notice that a bridge that I have had on the lower right of my mouth was causing me a bit of discomfort. It seemed a bit loose. The back tooth was my own molar, the next tooth was a fake, and the one in the front of the other two was a molar that had a root canal. I knew I had to have it looked at very soon. So Saturday, while I was working my six hour shift I saw a piece of American cheese a little bigger than an inch square. I plopped it in my mouth and after two chews it pulled all three molars out. I cannot chew on my right side and I don't have much to chew with on the left. Not only is this a bad thing to have happen, it's a bad week to have it happen on the week of the 4th. I did manage an appointment for Wednesday at 3 p.m. but not with my dentist, with an associate of hers. He probably won't be able to do anything for me but at least I can get an assessment. Essentially I am looking at oral surgery and implants. I may be looking at that, but I'm not looking forward to it. Other than that I am still on a big "lighten my load" campaign. Essentially getting rid of things that I've had for years including cd's (for computers) that I have collected plus other related and non related things. I did this seven years ago and I feel the need to do it again. The proverbial seven year itch.

Alrighty then. All that aside, in 2009 Arlene and I went on  a whale watch except there were no whales. Last week I suggested we go again. We both had Monday off so off we went into town by train. It has been and is hot and sticky, and not the good kind of hot and sticky. So a day on the ocean sounded pretty good  This particular pier is right next to the New England Aquarium, next to Quincy Market, tourist trap, Faneuil Hall, historic building. Now it is a tourist trap but it's still a pretty neat place. It was packed. Besides all the souvenir shops and venders there are plenty of places to eat and drink. By the way this is also next to the North End. Paul Revere's house and the old North Church. People were everywhere. There were jugglers, magicians and even a guy in a straight jacket. Perhaps I should clarify, not an escaped loony but an escape artist.
     

Just inside the entrance from the harbor side.

 
 
Above is Faneuil Hall (1742). It was a market place, a public meeting place and a place where politically charged speeches were made, especially by Samuel Adams just after the Boston Massacre. More or less planting the seeds of revolution. Aside from Independence Hall in Philadelphia, this is the most historically important building in the country.
 
 Just outside Quincy Market, a peek into the old North End.
So I started this whole thing out by mentioning a whale watch Arlene and I went on. Monday was hot and humid with hardly a cloud in the sky. It cools down considerably when you are zipping along on a catamaran at 50 or 60 miles and hour. It was a three hour trip. I can hear all of you singing the Gilligan's Island theme ("a three hour tour").  Did we see whales? Yes we did. Did I take pictures? What are you nuts?! Of course I did. Did I take video's? You bet. There are quite a few pictures but I haven't finished checking them all out. I may just make a slideshow out of the pictures after I've sorted through them. I wasn't as successful at getting videos of whales. Mostly because of the crowds and the difficulty of seeing what I recording on that stupid screen on back of the camera. It's totally useless in the bright sun. I did capture one whale. Mostly it's a video of the trip out, the whale, and  the trip back in. There were around ten sightings during the hour we were out there.
Here's a teaser.
  
After we arrived home we decided to get a bite to eat at a local restaurant/tavern. Much to my delight it turns out on Monday, late afternoons and evening local people who own vintage cars meet there. There weren't a lot but there were around ten or eleven.







By the way the above picture was the 5000 picture I have taken with this particular camera.

Ok, the video. Once again I apologize for the infernal hair-like line in most of the video. It only happens with one particular lens.
Ok it's time for me to find something I can chew.
I'm outta here.

6 comments:

  1. WOW!! The video viewed full screen is awesome Paul as are the photos!
    And now to get to the bad stuff. I am so sorry you are having teeth problems. Especially hard to read as I have a dental appointment tomorrow morning. I hate going to the dentist!!! I hope everything goes all right for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Love it! So sorry about your teeth. Been hot and humid here but some lake breeze though. Storms were nasty. Have a fun safe 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW thankyou for sending photos. I emailed but it came back to me undeliverable. Thanks for thinking of me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blessings....
    love the city scape
    love the whales
    pretending am not seeing anything about teeth! (dentist phobia)

    (am posting comment again, the first seemed to have disappeared.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless your heart, Boston Boy.....I know that darn dental problem stuff. I hope you can get it done easily and soon. I had my teeth cleaned on the 24th....the girl say she is calling the dr. in to look at what she thinks is a cavity..GAAAAAA ! The dentist says yes it is , we'll fix that. I said "what the heck is going on dr. Mike...I have been through hell with my teeth this year. He says, "are you eating sweets. Well yes I do, but I brush my teeth all the time. The hygienist told him I never have plaque. So he mentions dry mouth...well yes, I have that some times. He says that is probably what is happening...so I am thinking, am I throwing good money after bad to do anything but go all out and get dentures. With a mouth full of crowns, root canals, fillings, even one implant. It truly get old. So you have my sympathy 100%. LOL. So sorry...I mean to say , I loved all the city sights and the whales. Blessings to you and your friend Arlene, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good post Paul sorry to hear about the teeth..
    Good Video as Beth said great on full screen.
    Best Wishes to you and Arlene

    ReplyDelete