Thursday, July 10, 2014

2014 Quick rainstorm. More silly tunes.

A few days back a storm cell headed our way. As it traveled west to east tornado warnings were issued. Tornado's are not common here but have happened. By here I mean in the state and New England but I don't think they have occurred in my area, but I could be wrong. Anyway. It was 91 or 92 degrees with partly cloudy skies. By 5 p.m. the sky was grey cotton, with rumbles in the distance.

They talked about this storm all day. By 6 p.m. the wind was gusting to 60 mph and the skies let loose with water.
A couple of nights before I had tried to photograph some lightning. It ain't easy looking out my bedroom window trying to guess where the lightning bolt would be. This time I just took some video.



I have found a disc with more of my own tunes. I was getting into recording because basically it just gave me a chance to play. In my younger days I would play bass because the other guitar players were much better than I. Bass is ok. I like playing bass. So, I buy this 4 track cassette recorder. I eventually got a drum machine. I would make up songs usually inspired by something stupid or silly at work.

It's 1985 or 86... not sure, there was a guy named Bob. I'm guessing he was in his mid to late 50's. He was a miserable sort who worked in the bake shop next to us. He had a loud, nasally voice and was fond of saying, "Hey! Whatever!" and "Go to hell!" Ah such inspiration. Especially on the day he smashed up his gigantic 1975 Cadillac. He also inspired a Christmas tune out of me. "No one's gettin' nothin' for Christmas!" It's a quote.

So first you'll hear a bit of Hey! Whatever!, then No one's gettin' nothin' for Christmas. The third snippet (late 80's, 1990) is about a different guy who also worked in the bake shop. His name was Leonardo. He was a good guy but spoke and understood limited English. Just the person you want in a customer service role. A lady came up to him and asked if he could frost a cake for her. He understood that and said, "I do."
As he frosted the cake she asked if he could write something on it. He replied, "I don' do."
She says, getting a bit agitated, "You can frost the cake..."
"I do!
"...but you can't write on the cake!"
"I don' do."
Ah Spanish inspiration! So of the things I tried didn't work so well. It's sloppy and I don't like the tone of my guitar during the break. Still all the above were fun to do and my co-workers got a kick out of them. Some of the others that are much more embarrassing to me with stronger language and some just real bad. But what the heck it was fun.


That's it for now.
I'm outta here.



5 comments:

  1. Ahhh enjoyed your videos. You sure had rain, wow. You sure can play also. I said I was gonna do video's but haven't...yet. Stay tuned. Have a nice weekend and hopefully no storms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was caught up in your rainstorm and was glad to be indoors. Thunder to me, is exciting. Damaging winds not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boston Boy, That was a car washing rain. I like storms if they are just lightening and rain...none of the windy stuff. I laughed at your tunes...I bet you guys were a riot. Take care, hope your weekend is great. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry I missed this Paul. I haven't been feeling great the last few days! I love the video of the rain and
    I love your old music!! You guys were really good is that you all singing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that was a storm scary stuff you did well with the video's.
    I enjoyed the music , really good. Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete