Friday, June 6, 2014

Thursday

Today is the first day where the weather is, well, under the weather. I'm not sure what we will do as it looks like rain most of the day. There's always eating, reading who knows what else. The weather has been just wonderful and tomorrow and the next day look good. Unfortunately we are leaving on Saturday. I can't explain why this place seems so magical. Part of it is that it's relatively close. Out the front door at 6:30 a.m. and on the island by 8:45. That was the fastest we ever got here. Oak Bluffs, where we stay, is a funky, happening place. When you go to the Gingerbread Cottages it's like you have walked into a fairy tale. I haven't taken any pictures of them yet but I have many of them already, but we still have a few more days so I will more than likely post a few for any newer readers.

Here are a few shots of Edgartown. It's very New Englandy. Many of the old whaling captain's homes are now hotels, bed and breakfasts, museums or art galleries. You have to be well heeled to live here year round. It is a beautiful area.





The Edgartown library.







This year I have paid more attention to the various license plates. The majority are from Massachusetts (Duh!), many Florida plates because many people from Massachusetts retire to Florida, but so far just around our hotel I have seen two California plates, Colorado, Nevada, Georgia, New Mexico and Virginia. People from the other New England states, New York, New Jersey, Maryland and Pennsylvania are pretty common. Most of those people can get here with a days or less drive.

Last night, (Thursday) I had the first prime rib I have had in about 30 years. Let's face it, it's pricey and not all that good for you but boy it was delicious. Apart from our first day here we have had breakfast in the hotel. Lunch is not too expensive as long as you stick to having a sandwich somewhere and a drink. I have eaten things that I would not necessarily have normally such as French fries, potato salad and so on. Not because I don't like them because I do, just for health reasons. I'm not a health nut by any means but the last 7 or 8 years I have cut most of this stuff out of my diet because, well, it really isn't good for you. A turkey club  sandwich cost about $8.99 which is not too far out of align with prices at home, but there is one restaurant called Nancy's, which is right on the water, which is really expensive. The average meal starts at $20.00. Throw in an appetizer and a couple of drinks you are in the $70 to $80 range. The food is very good but I think they are just taking advantage of their location and the fact that the President ate there. We ate there a few years ago and we walked by it last night but one look at the menu and prices and we went somewhere else.

Thursday was the only day where the weather wasn't up to snuff. Much rain in the morning and afternoon though it did clear up by evening time. Today (9:06 a.m.) It is beautiful again, a bit cool in the lower 60's, but the ocean was gorgeous when I took my early morning stroll. The magic of this place is that it attracts everyone from the very rich to the average person. There's a lot of Hollywood here, not where we are but in the more secluded area's and I read that the locals leave them alone so they can stroll about like anybody else. Not around here but "up island" as the locals call it. 

Ok I've babbled on long enough. It's time to take advantage of another beautiful day.
I'm outta here... tomorrow.   



5 comments:

  1. Yes, it is a magnificent place with the history, sea and sun. I'm very glad you are enjoying your vacation. There is nothing like a tranquil escape into the fairytale area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all sounds great Paul! The photos are beautiful as are those houses. It would be nice to be able to afford something like that.
    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boston Boy, I love all your pictures. This was a great post. I have always had to travel budget. So i'll eat sandwiches and drink water. My problem is I love a good cup of coffee. But I have made coffee with hot tap water. LOL. Enjoy these last few days, can't believe how fast your time went. Blessings to you and Arlene, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are making the most of your vacation , and the weather's not too bad either.
    Those houses oh my they are really lovely, as Beth says what a place to live.
    Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photos you share Paul. Beautiful place and you guys are fortunate to go visit there. Hope you had a wonderful vacation.

    ReplyDelete