Friday, June 17, 2011

Wishes for a speedy recovery for our friend Carole and oh yeah another championship.

I learned a couple of days ago that our friend Carole has had a mishap and broke her wrist and injured her knee. I am sending my best wishes to her for a speedy recovery.Carole I want you to know that you are missed. Also I want to thank my friends Beth and Rhapsody for giving me a blogging award. I will put it on my page when I re-configure it. I am never happy with the way it looks but I suppose it really doesn't matter what your page looks like, it's what you say that matters. Thanks ladies!

So what have I been up to. Well aside from my usual crazy work schedule I have been caught up in the hockey playoffs which had a very good outcome for the local Boston Bruins. Not so good for the Vancouver Cannucks. Boy what sore losers those fans are. Vancouver looks like a beautiful city, but guys, c'mon, it's just sports. And just what is a Cannuck? Still it's been quite a ride for Boston sports fans. Another championship. I suppose a young person growing up over the last few years would think that it was not unusual for the local teams to win so much. Apart from the Boston Celtics who won 8 in a row in the '50s and '60s there weren't many great sports teams around here. Some kids must think that winning is a regular thing. We had to wait 86 years for the Red Sox to win and there were many disappointments when they came very close and had there dreams crushed. We never had the kind of reaction to a sports loss. Once again it's just sports. Entertainment not the real world. Congrats to the Boston Bruins.

As some of you may know I am proud of where I live. The history. the firsts. I have gone on about it in the past. However one thing that I am not proud of is our state government. I venture to say we have the most corrupt state government in the country. This is something I am of which I am not proud. A jury just convicted the  speaker of the house. Some say the most powerful position in the government. More so than the governor. The first one some years back was William Bulger forced to resign by pressure from then governor Mitt Romney. Bulger is the brother of notorious Irish mob boss James "Whitey" Bulger who is on the FBI's 10 most wanted list. Supposedly the movie The Departed was loosely based on him along with other movies and television programs. Great movie by the way and one movie that got the Boston accent right probably, and this is just my opinion, due to the presence of Boston natives Matt Damon and Mark Wahlberg. I looked for a clip to illustrate it but every clip I looked at that was relevant was filled with f-bombs. Just take my word on it. Back to William Bulger, he is now retired collecting a $198,000 a year state pension. Not bad. The second one resigned but I can't remember why and I don't feel like researching it. He ended up with a radio talk show. And now this one, who was convicted and will serve jail time for taking money from some computer software company in exchange for state business, or something like that.

Another thing that I am not fond of is the traffic. The screwy road layouts. Boston is a wonderful city but I do feel bad for tourists who have to drive around here. It's bewildering and congested despite the Big Dig with it's shiny new bridge and tunnels. Now to add to the screwyness they are replacing 14 bridges over the course of the summer. These 14 bridges are in my city. I understand that this has to be done as they are 50 years old and it is amazing how fast they are working. One bridge a weekend. I have yet to actually catch one in the process of being replaced but hope to. The high way gets shut down to 2 lanes and local roads are blocked at 6p.m. on Friday and reopened at 6 a.m. on Monday. So far they have done 3. This does affect me as I am on one side of the highway and the city is bisected by the river. I have to cross the river to head north, south or west. East is okay except you can only go as far as the ocean which is about 7 or 10 miles away. You could eventually go north, south or west but the amount of driving to get where you're going makes it more practical just to sit in the congestion just to cross the river. Ah such is life in the Boston area. I'm glad I'm not going into town tomorrow. First there is the parade for the Bruins then later there is a Red Sox game.

Alrighty then, I've gone on long enough. I do have some chores to accomplish. So far I've done little on this my day off. I've read, played a video game and I've written this. Gottah go but I'll be back, but for now,
I'm outta here.    


      

5 comments:

  1. I like it that you are proud of your home state. I do think Illinois is as corrupt as your state though. LOL Nothing for either one of us to be proud of there. No verdict on Blagojevich's trial yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be proud of your state. We all should be. Unfortunately some are trying to make it real difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blesings my friend.
    Thanks for the pics, a speedy recovery to carole and a fabulous week to you. Enjoy your sports and don't lose your voice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paul,
    You has done a good jobs for Admiral's nurse uniform that is very cute in Miss Cats:-)
    Poor Carole she still has pains in her knees.
    Wish for speedy recovery to Carole.
    We all proud of where we lived and I loved lived
    in the suburbs of Melbourne.
    By the way I received blogging Award from Rhapsody and shows in my space.
    Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stopped here before but my mind was blank of what to comment. It happened again.....

    ReplyDelete