Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Uhh...snow.

Yup there's more snow a comin'. I just got back from the market. Yes I got the bread and milk but I went to go to an actual bakery for the bread. This bakery is legendary around here. From when I was a little kid, after church my dad and I would stop by LaCascias Bakery. I worked there in the 70's. I didn't make much money but we sure ate well.
None of these pictures here are mine. They are from the web.
My favorite type of bread is the Scali which I believe means stairs. The dough is rolled out like you are making a French bread then it is laid out in a series of S'es, they are pressed together so the S shape are squished together and you run a knife down the middle.
It ends up looking like this.
   
I worked behind this counter from1975 to 1980. Those are the same slicing machines that I used in the 70's.
 
 
So I have taken care of my Italian bread fix. The last time I went to the supermarket I bought a loaf of traditional American bread, the supermarket brand. It really doesn't hold up compared to actual bakery bread. Now I buy it once in a while for a change of pace and there's nothing wrong with it if you buy a well known brand such as Wonder Bread and I'm know there are many regional brands. However this particular supermarket brand had four slices left and it seemed that if I looked at it too hard it would disintegrate. I grew up with the above breads, particularly the two loves in the center of the above picture. I like bread with a crust. Ok enough about my bread addiction.

So we are getting more snow. We could get up to another ten inches. At least it won't last too long as it is getting warmer. It's above freezing as I write this a 4 p.m. on Wednesday afternoon. About 36 degrees. I just hope that it will start snowing long after the sun goes down. I really don't want to go out and shovel tonight. I don't want to do it tomorrow either but I can only hope that it will snow overnight and I can postpone the inevitable till tomorrow. 

Another bread photo from LaCascias. I've had over a sixty year love affair with this place. 
 I can't forget the cookies, pastries and cakes.
 
 
 
But I have once again digressed. Arlene and I hadn't been out for quite a while so we went out to our favorite local restaurants,  Raso's.
 
Now I like a good steak as much as the next guy but I don't have them very often, maybe twice a year and I stopped making them at home. Now I don't often spend $29.00 on a meal but it was time and they didn't disappoint me. It was a delicious sirloin steak. This is not my picture but from their website.

 
Arlene had what they called "Noni's (granny's) Pork Chops. These two pork chops were the size of your head! All that for $17.00!
 
 

Needless to say the food was wonderful. The drinks were wonderful as well. I admit that I had a martini when we first got there and then with my meal I ordered a glass of wine. I showed what a silver tongued devil I am by ordering a glass of "camembert" instead of a glass of cabernet. I'm sure that comes from 46 years of working with the imported cheeses in the deli department. By the way I don't miss working in the slightest but I am grateful that I worked for a wonderful company for all those years.
Ok time to put this to bed. As of 6:30 p.m. It is not snowing yet. It is snowing in New York though.
OK Happy Spring everyone!
I'm outta here.  
 

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Those breads ALL look wonderful. I am a deprived woman. Never have I enjoyed breads of this kind. And the dinners! You KNOW you are a meanie when you show such pictures. Food for my eyes only and my stomach cries. Thanks a lot! At least you know how lucky you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boston Boy, I know you are ready for a bit of spring..and I am not talking this crazy March spring. Here I have been so thankful for our small snows and now the forecast is for a big snow starting tomorrow night...I hope that isn't true. Blast, I was ready to paint and spruce up the porch. Wow, That looks like the bread from heaven. I love heavy solid breads..not that airy stuff you can not even spread peanut butter on. Plus your dinners look so delicious. It is nice to get out for a meal such as that. Don't over do shoveling, take breaks. Do I sound like your mommy? LOL. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I am so glad I ate 15 minutes ago. Now, I won't have to run and get something because of your mouth-watering delicious looking food photos. Beautiful photos, awesome food!

    Just stopping in to read your latest and say hello. Wishing you a great week!

    ReplyDelete