Monday, August 29, 2011

The day after. Pay not attention to the 1st video.


Today through Saturday the weather will be absolutely perfect. About 80 degrees with sunny blue skies. As I write this I am listening to two guys on the radio who are debating whether the news media did a good job yesterday or was it overblown media hype. The local television stations were on for twelve hours straight. Too much? I had the TV on all day as I didn't lose power except for about 5 minutes at around 9 am. I'm sure there was much hyping of the storm all over television but I found the two local stations I watched to be pretty even handed. When the storm was downgraded from a hurricane to a tropical storm they said as much. If they weren't on all day I'm sure people would complain that they weren't. I never watched any national media because they all hype things. Particularly FOX and NBC.
Here's a clip of an NBC reporter hyping a flood in New Jersey on the Today Show some years back. She's seen in a canoe paddling down a flooded street, giving the impression that there were great amounts of water on the storm flooded streets.

Still some places had it worse than others. It was a hurricane at first and it has caused a lot of damage both in the U.S. and to some islands in the Carribean. As of this writing there were 25 deaths as a result of this storm. I'll bet some of these deaths were the result of stupid decisions by people. You know Darwinism. The thinning of the heard. There were a group of people, I'm not sure where, who decided to have a party during the storm and camp in the backyard in tents. A tree fell and killed someone. Not a smart decision. Locally it ended up being a very nasty rainstorm. It was worse down at Cape Cod and the islands. 700,000 people lost power in the state. I'm not going to minimize the storm because if it had taken a slightly different course things could have been much worse. Around my neighborhood there were small branches down and one wire down. The day is gorgeous today. The week looks to be gorgeous. Too bad I'm working the rest of the street.

Yesterday was like a snow day. There wasn't a whole lot to do. There was no public transportation and the wind was gusting to 60 mph. Despite all the turmoil going on outside I was quite relaxed and had a nice day doing very little.

I made these two little videos of the storm. Two because one would have been too large to upload as one. It takes place between the hours of 7:30 am and 2:30 pm.

So all in all I survived just fine the only problem I have had is uploading the second video but that was all my fault. I have spent entirely too much time putting this all together. I'd be embarrassed to tell you how much time I spent editing the second video and trying to get it the right size. It's uploading as I write. I hope it works. The second video is a dud. It won't play. OK enough. There's a beautiful day outside and I have been inside long enough.
I'm outta here.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Bro, I am glad you all are safe. The video is great. We could sure use some of that rain here as it is really dry here. My poor old car that sits out really needs to be washed off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were there less pears on the tree at the end of video? This was ah test right? Did I win anything?
    I was thinking of you Saturday night wondering if you got home alright. Martha's vineyard got hammered I guess. Glad you are alright. You did a great job on the video. Oh the gal in the boat....very funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to please everyone. Do you over cover and err on the side of safety or ease up and take the blame when disaster really happens. Glad your okay. Great videos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you re OK. We are, too, but lost power for 3 full days and nights. Our big willow tree came down. After cleanup here will head out for a couple of months and be back in contact upon return.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they blew it alllll out of proportion. Yes, as you are, I am aware of what DID happen, but Obama coming on TV that afternpon and talking about the historic hurricane..please.

    ReplyDelete