Sunday, July 10, 2011

Last Saturday. Just an average day.

The title of this blog is 180 degrees opposite of what Saturday really was. I had mentioned that I was going car shopping and shopping for a new bedroom set. I am here to say that I purchased both in the same day. It's not what I had planned. Looking around, shopping and walking in and buying a car within 40 minutes are two different things. I had scoured the local car dealers via the Internet and there was very little around of what I was looking for in my price range. I was interested in a new or year old Ford Fusion or base or year old Ford Taurus which by the way is a car I'm in love with. All of these vehicles  are in my price range. My present car. 1998 Taurus has been a comfortable, reliable car. Repairs have been few. A header pipe that comes off the engine that connects to the exhaust pipe system, a water pump and two sets of tires. That's it. In fact It has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. It still runs like a top. It's quiet and comfortable. I really hate to see it go but it has suffered the slings and arrows of many parking lots and bits of rust have appeared over the rear wheel wells and at the edge of the hood. It was also not one of the more handsome designs around. Ford styling got a bit weird in the mid '90s. They went nuts with an oval theme. From the front it looks like a cross between a Jaguar and a flounder. So I came to the conclusion about a year ago that it was time to start thinking and researching something new or newer. As I said there was very little around that interested me. Until the salesman said, "Well I do have a pre-owned Ford factory certified Lincoln MKZ. A 2008." I was looking for a a 2010 or 2011 car. I wasn't thinking about anything older but I was there so I thought it can't hurt to look at it. The style of the car styling hasn't changed since then so it looked new and the body was in excellent shape. Scratch and ding free. The interior as well was in excellent shape. I have to admit I wasn't thrilled with the dashboard design. Very blocky. Typical Ford design for Lincolns of a few years ago though I did very much like the Cartier analog clock in the center of the dash. An actual clock not some stupid digital readout that can't be read when the sun is out without blocking out the sunshine with your hand while you're driving. Below are a few  pictures of it from the dealers website. It's black which gives it a classy air! It's the bottom rung of the Lincoln ladder and all it really is is a gussied up Ford Fusion. A very good car in it's own right.
All I was really looking for as far as options was air conditioning and possibly a moon roof/sun roof, whatever the difference in terminology is. An item my last two cars have had This one is very well equipped with some items that I couldn't care less about. 
I test drove it and found it quiet, good handling and quite capable of getting out of it's own way. The kicker for me was that it is all wheel drive. Great for the winter though there is a mileage penalty but it is no worse than my present car with an extra 63 horsepower to boot. I did the consumer report research, albeit after I put a deposit on it just to reassure myself that I wasn't purchasing a problem car. It wasn't the highest rated car in it's field but it was recommended. I also did other research when I got home just to make sure that there was a consensus amongst all of the reviews. Granted this was an ass backwards approach to buying a car but I was never shopping for a Lincoln in the first place, but it cost about $4000 less than I was willing to spend and it is a tarted up version of a Ford Fusion which I had researched. Average mileage, comfortable and quiet. I never thought I would ever buy an entry level luxury car but that's what happened.

I still have a bunch of things to coordinate around my work schedule. Calling my insurance company, getting to the bank, arranging to have my old furniture to be taken away and arranging for my new furniture to be delivered. This will probably all happen over a two week span. At this point everything is up in the air.
  
  Final note. I went to dealership with my friend Arlene. She was there because she is my friend and to make sure that I spend as much money as possible today. As I sat down at the salesman's desk working out the final details he said,

"I'm sure you and your wife will be very happy with the car."
To which I replied, "Oh no. SHE'S not my wife. She's the woman I fool around with."
Arlene laughed and he looked a little perplexed.

I'm outta here. 

8 comments:

  1. Way to go Bro! I am referring specifically to
    "To which I replied, "Oh no. SHE'S not my wife. She's the woman I fool around with." LOL

    As for the car, it is a beauty, I am glad you decided to do some checking on it. Did you get a carfax report?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to send you a message so I'll just post that my "cupcakes" were pimento jars and, yes, I did make all the crafts and the video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well congratulations! I don't/can't drive, car lots good. Have fun fooling around on the new bedroom set.

    thanks for the visit, always a pleasure...
    have a splendid week.....
    rhapsody

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bahdah Bing...you bought everything you set out to do. No fooling around, except with the lady ;-) Hey you said it! Very nice looking car and that grill! An actual clock? Priceless! Gussied up with fuzzy dice and hey, any pics of the bed set? Thanks for your comment. You are a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made a good bargain that $4000 less spent and you found what you wanted it.
    I can seen everybody has their favorite cars:-)
    Next one is you going to find your bedroom set?
    Hope you will find nice comfortable ones because
    you are spend most of time there aren't you?
    I would love to visit your home in the next weekend thought you can take me drive somewhere
    nice the vineyard LOL!
    Thank you for all my answer back to me Paul which very nice of you:-)
    Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'da clocked ya if ya said that with me sitting there. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab looking car Paul it really is , the last sentence was just great LOL Thanks for sharing Sheila .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on finally breaking down and getting a new car before you actually had to!
    I have a tendency to drive them till they won't go any farther. Then, usually the wife buys another NEW CAR, and I'd get her "hand-me-downs".
    I now have two "hand-me-down vehicles. A 2000 Dodge Intrepid (179,000 miles) and a 2000 Chevy 4 wheel drive Pick-up(180,000 miles).
    I alternate driving the two as my mood hits me. I like the truck best, but, the air conditioner on the Dodge is much better for this terrible hot weather.
    The two best points are: Both are totally paid off....and I have a spare if one is needed!
    Hell, I'm saving so much money, maybe I can now go out and buy me another '65 Corvette like I had in my single days. Nawh...that ain't gonna happen....I'm too damned cheap now a days!

    ReplyDelete