Saturday, September 29, 2018

A tourist in my own town

Well I wasn't really in my own town. My friend Dave called me up and asked if I would like to go to Harvard Square which is about 4 miles from here. It's full of many funky shops and places to eat and the Harvard Coop, short for the Harvard Cooperative Society. It's basically a book store filled with all kinds of Harvard paraphernalia, clothes and at one time just about the best record store around these parts. The records are gone yet there are still record stores selling vinyl and cd's. This is where I came to buy records back in the day and certain substances on the Cambridge Common which is right across the street from one of the entrances to the school. You must remember I am a child of the 60's and 70's.

It was a beautiful day and being Saturday the place was crowded. It was also packed with tourist. Many people taking pictures. I also drove through there to work everyday from 2000 till 2011. However I started work at 6a.m. so it was not a problem and going home at 2 or 2:30 wasn't a big problem. I did take some pictures but you had to be quick because someone would walk in front of you or a bunch of cars would drive by. Now there aren't many and trying to frame a shot was not easy. I could not get all the shots that I wanted to.
    





The picture below is from the Cambridge Common.
 

And the worst picture. It's blurry.


Then we had lunch at Mr. Bartley's Gourmet Burgers. Now the burger were good but Dave was raving about this place and I felt like saying, "Dave it's a burger. Calm down." They didn't have beer so I had an ice tea which was fine until I tried to drink it with by sucking on the spoon in the glass instead of the straw. At least I didn't distinguish myself as a man of the world as I did at Raso's last week when I intended to ask for a glass of cabernet instead of asking for a glass of camembert. I suppose that comes from years of working with imported cheeses in the deli.

It was a tiny place and it was packed. I didn't take any pictures in there so I got a couple from the web.

 

And apparently they have had several celebrities eat there. Johnny Cash and Al Pacino and to my left was a sign that the lead singer for Led Zepplin ate there as well. They said he was very nice.

 
 
So that's it my friends. It's late and I am a bit bleary eyed. I will come visiting around tomorrow. I am outta here. 

3 comments:

  1. People! People! Everywhere! Bicycles! Bicycles! Everywhere! Cars! Cars! Everywhere! All of this activity might have made you suck on your spoon! I'll stay home and just look at your photos, thanks! They sure do show the busyness of the area! I do see some of the beautiful architecture peeking through however.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boston Boy, OMG, thank you for the laugh...I am so sorry...I laughed about sucking on the spoon handle and the fancy wine order. You are killing me. I went up in Harvard Yard in a tour bus once, that about tight turning. Yikes. I think the driver was on the sidewalk once . I hope you and Dave get out again, so fun, isn't it to laugh with your old friends. I would love to come thru Boston again. One day, if we can find another travel club. Blessings to you, hello to Arlene. xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete