Thursday, April 19, 2018

Well whaddya know...

...after several days after wondering if I'm blogged out, I'm back blogging. I had the marathon on in the background as I did various household chores,  30,000 runners from all over the place. Just a sea of humanity. You have to admire these people who ran 26.2 miles especially with the really crappy weather we had. The wind turned the rain into water bullets. I had to go out and run an errand and it was truly awful. The last runner crossed the finish line around midnight. Dave McGillivray is the race director and is from my hometown. In 1978 he ran across the United States for the charities, The Dana Farber Cancer Institute and The Jimmy Fund, both charities famous for their cancer research. I remember following his journey on the Today Show.    

 As I said had to run an errand and some of the roads were flooding and that can be a double edged sword because after this passed winter we have some major league pot holes. They can blow a tire and ruin a tire rim and they ain't cheap!  
One cost me a nice chunk of change when I had to replace a front axle and drive shaft a few months ago. Of course I'm referring to my car As I have said before there are many wonderful things about living around here but driving on some of the roads is not one of them.

I received a letter from my credit card company saying that I was passed due on my payment which I thought was strange since I had just made a payment online and had a confirmation number to prove it. So I called the number on the notice and what do I hear when someone answers?
"Eddies emergency elevator repair. What's your problem?"
Huh? I immediately called the number on my card. Nothing is easy. Long story short after all the automated voices, press this for this and this for that, it finally asked me if I wanted to speak to an operator. No I think I want to shoot myself. I finally got a human and in fairness to him he was actually quite helpful as he pulled up my account info online as I had also done and he confirmed that I had recently made a payment and my account was up to date. I saw the same thing. A scam though "Eddies emergency elevator repair" was a pretty obvious scam and a poorly conceived one at that.

Things just get more and more complicated and technology is just passing me by. It took me a while to get my first computer. I kept asking myself, "Why do I need one?" Then I got my first one and I was hooked. Now I don't have an IPhone, I have a simple pay as you go phone. Nothing fancy I can make calls and send texts and take pictures not that I use it for that. They are nothing to write home about. I'm supposed to be able to get online but as yet I haven't been able to but I don't really care. I have only giving my cell number to my family and Arlene. I have nothing against the IPhone in fact I think they are a fantastic piece of technology. I just don't need all that technology in my pocket. I see so many people just transfixed on that little screen. It is particularly annoying at a red light. You can see their heads are down staring at their phones instead of the traffic lights. The light changes and they are just not paying attention. That's when I and others in line start blasting our car horns. Then there are the people who begin to cross the street not bothering to check to see if any cars are coming. I know I'm beginning to sound like a crotchety old man and that could be because I am just beginning to realize how old I'm getting to be. Now on the other hand I am in good health and have some money saved. I have much to be thankful for. There are many people who are in not as fortunate as I am. 

I do miss playing the guitar and making my own music. I just don't have the recording equipment anymore to do that at this point in time. I am contemplating taking some of the pictures of when my parents took me back to Italy back in 1956 and adding a little guitar piece I came up with about 10 years ago if I can find the disc I put it on. We also went back in 1965. This all started when I discovered Google street view and found my grandfathers house on Via Principessa Jolanda. I remember it because there was a big church and the back of the church was on the same street as grandfathers house and the front was on a lovely main street of the little town. I will try and put this all together in a future blog including some of the pictures of the front of the house from 1956 and the link to the Google street view. The street view is from 2008 but nothing had really changed except for the cars and I suppose it doesn't look much different today. I have to say it was pretty neat to see the bedroom window of the room I slept in.

Alrighty then I guess I've taken up enough of your time so...
I'm outta here.

3 comments:

  1. The project with pictures and music to tell your story of ancestry memories sounds like it needs to be accomplished! I agree with you totally about cell phones. We each only have a simple TracFone and only take them with us when we are on the road. The landline is our main phone. The savings is spectacular for our income level and it matters. As for scams, it sure seems as there are more and more, both mail and phone. Don't you just hate all of the options when you make a call to clear up a question or make an appointment? Press one for this, select 2 for that, all the way up to 9!! AWFUL! Well, now I'll just bake a cake. Makes me feel good to be productive since I got all of the negative thoughts out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessings.......
    Sadly there will also those who feel they can make a quick buck by ripping people off. The truly sad part is that they are genius idiots because all that work to rip people off can be better utilized to create something great and make shit loads of money. Oh well, the beauty of choice.

    You played the guitar and record your own music. Nice. Well you may not have the recording equipment however you can certainly pick back up the guitar and play to your hearts content.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boston Boy, Some people in Indiana have had the Government replace their tires and rims. Because of the pot holes around . Thankfully our town has done well staying on top of them. But then we are a small town. I saw the marathon being ran, it looked plenty cold to me. I would love to have those runners good feet. I envy people who can walk or run all they want. My ankles just wont do it. :) Those scams are so scary. Who knows whom to trust. At a restaurant last week, the waiter is showing me the gizmo on the edge of the table, saying how we can pay...I told him I am old school don't you people take cash? He looked totally put off...but took my cash and big tip. Gee. I won't be eating or buying the day they stop taking cash. Hope it's spring at last there. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete