Monday, April 17, 2017

Tasty ham, beautiful weather, laughs, the marathon...

As I begin this blog it's 2:15 Monday afternoon. It's called Patriots Day around here marking the first battles of the revolution at Lexington and Concord. I probably won't finish this at this sitting but I guess that really doesn't matter. At this point there are still runners crossing the finish line of the 121st running of the Boston Marathon. I remember in the 70's and 80's I worked at a store my former company has at the Prudential Center in Boston. Below is a picture of the rather bland Prudential building. On the ground floors were many retail stores.
 
 
Below is a picture of the exterior of the store on the right, behind the duckboat.


Anyway the reason I bring this up is at that time the finish line of the marathon was not too far up Boylston Street, very near the store front. It has since been moved about a half a mile up the street, No matter what your scheduled was you weren't going home for quite a while unless you traveled with public transportation. Still it was pretty neat to watch thousands of runners go by. This year there were over 30,000 runners. A bunch of us would go out to eat and have a few drinks. I know at times I have complained about what a pain it can be dealing with downtown Boston on any day. Still on days like today I have to say how proud I am to live here and how wonderful the City of Boston is. On top of the marathon, on the third Monday in April another tradition is an 11A.M. Red Sox game. The city was really humming today.
 
I was at my sisters on Easter Sunday. It was a lot of fun. The wine was flowing and all were cracking wise. The weather was very warm, 86 degrees. We all made fun of the way we talk around here. Not so much the Boston accent but the way we can contract a short sentence or phrase into one or two words.  Did you eat? can become, Jeet? 
Do you want to go down ... becomes Juwanna guhdown... You're supposed to... becomes yaspozetah. What are you doing... Whatcha doin?

My middle sister and I both read comic books at some point in our lives. There's a clichĂ©  sound effect that is has been used in comic books for years. It could have been used in Archie or Spider-man. Most of the time it was used when someone was falling off a building, into a volcano, out of a plane without a parachute...
Ok you get the idea. So we're sitting on the back porch. There's an ant on the railing and my brother in law reaches out to flick it off. As the ant goes sailing off the railing I say, "Aieeeeee!"  My sister caught it and started laughing. I joined her in laughter. My other sister and brother in law looked at us like we had missed our medication. 
 
That's all I got for now.
I'm outta here.  

4 comments:

  1. yahno, Igottah comment lol! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Miuss yousetwo!
    I laughed so hard when anchor news gal referred onlookers crossing the street during marathon as playing "Frogger". Hope you know frogger to git that.
    I have been livin life to it's fullest thus past year. I am hardly on the computer. I have been tipping brew and sing'in and tap dancing after a few LOL!!! Gulf cart races and adult campfires with talk that can leave you hurt'in from laughter. Miss you and oh I got a cheese cutter! hee hee. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear you had a good visit with family on Easter. Your city sure has interesting sights, traditions and history galore. Sure wish I had kept my stack of comic books - I had hundreds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boston Boy, OMG, I am laughing thinking of you and your sister laughing about the ant.I love those family jokes. You have a right to be proud of your city. It is loved by many. You have history and so much to offer. Glad you had a fun time with your family. We are having great weather. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I guess you gave up blogging. I'll keep on checking just in case you ever return. Your histories of Boston and photos have always been a joy to see!

    ReplyDelete