Sunday, December 27, 2015

And so it's ...

 ...over. I hope everyone had a good holiday. I did. The food was tremendous. There was only four of us initially but there was easily enough food for three times as many people. Christmas eve involved a traditional fish dinner. Shrimp for starters, along with a host of other items such as stuffed mushrooms and two different kinds of pizza, a couple of items of which I have no English translation. Basically a bread like item stuffed with spinach and tomato, and one with chicory and tomato. Then a meal of cod fillet and rice, sea scallops and salad. The deserts were quite numerous, ricotta pie, Italian style cookies and lemon squares. There were a couple of items I don't even recall. Way too much food for four people. Christmas day was just as bad or good depending how you want to look at it. Basically it was lasagna with the meat balls, sausage and beef. Beef is particularly delicious when cooked in the tomato sauce. Again salad, string beans and something else that I also can't recall. Then the deserts. Oh I forgot the homemade pizzelles. There's no comparison to the store bought ones. They are much too thick. My sister has mastered my mothers recipe. They were tasty and quite delicate. Perfect with coffee. I'll say it, we all ate like pigs. I left with my goodie bag of lasagna, sauce with all the meats, ricotta pie, lemon squares, cookies and probably something else the I just can't think of. There's three or four meals ready made in my fridge and freezer. All in all it was a nice time with insults (good natured) flying around and lots of laughter.

New years is not that big a deal. Arlene and I will spend it together. She spent Christmas with her family with ideas of visiting each other scrapped when we could see an argument over who should visit who brewing. We stayed with our respective families for Christmas and will spend New Years eve together. Whether we remain awake for midnight is an open question.

I dabbled on Facebook but I am not all that thrilled with it. On the one hand it's quite nice to be in touch with people that I haven't seen in 30 or 40 years. On the other hand seeing people put up pictures of their cats sleeping, or telling of a tasty meatball sub just doesn't do it for me. I'll stay on there but I still find it difficult to post stuff there. I do have one friend of mine who as it turns out goes to Martha's Vineyard quite a bit as well so we have talked about that and shared pictures as well. It even turns out that we were both there at the same time last September. Arlene is not thrilled about it as my friend happens to be a woman who I've known since 1970. We were never romantically involved as she was my friends wife but we had music in common and she has a beautiful voice. In fact I know her whole family. Her father was an opera singer so I know where she got her talent from. I would play the guitar and she would sing. I can't sing.

So that's it for now. I'm about to go next door to Arlene's as we like to watch the Patriots, and that's just 45 minutes away.

I'm outta here.    

7 comments:

  1. I sure would have liked to share your seafoods with you. Please make room at the table as I'll be there next year - invitation or not! The cooking skills must be tip top for sure and it all sounds too good to be true. We (I) do "plain" here but the company of family was great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul, Glad your Christmas was good and you have some meals from the gatherings. So nice some times to have good left-overs to just nuke. Pizzelles. A fellow I worked with would bring them for Christmas . I bought a pizzelle maker...like a waffle iron...I need a good recipe...Mine never tasted like Frank's wife's pizzelles. Bummer. Hope you and Arlene enjoy your new year's evening. Wishing you both the best . xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a nice Christmas. I DID watch the Pat's and it's probly cause I was coming down with something. I woke with a sore throat. Probly from hollaring at the Packers for playing not so well.
    My Christmas started out wrong but ended up so right. The snow bluzzurd just started here now, yikes! 60 mph winds they say wow! I may blow over to your doorstep!
    Toodie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blessings and happy new year.
    All the best to you and yours.

    May you have more triumphs than trials
    More joy than sorrow
    More support than judgement
    More Inspiration than discouragement
    More resources and access than obstacles
    and may you know through it all
    That you are blessed and a blessed (by D.S.B.S.Rhapsody)

    Peace.
    Rhapsody

    Glad to read you had a good holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Festivities sounds a hoot , oh and the food well that would make a welcome change to Turkey. A good laugh to boot great what more could you ask for.
    Happy New Year to you and Arlene have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blessings.....
    stopped in to wish you a fabulous week

    peace
    rhapsody

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blessings....
    I am by to say have a grand Sunday and a wonder filled week,.

    peace.

    ReplyDelete