Saturday, November 21, 2015

Remember this?

Here is a classic clip from the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, 1965. He showed it almost every year on the anniversary show. It still cracks me up
 
 

It's been a busy week. The highlight or more accurately lowlight of the week was Thursday. A busy day at work and an absolutely horrendous drive home. As I have mentioned before, my drive home takes me through Harvard Square. It's a busy crowded, busy place and it's even worse during the evening rush hour. Still it's a small enough place that you usually can get through it in about 5 minutes. Well Thursday as I was just about leave the square and get on Massachusetts Avenue I see several blue lights speed up and block off the entrance to, as we call it, Mass Ave., and all traffic was directed back through the square. It forced me to take the confusing, rotary filled, nerve wracking Rt. 16. A ride that takes me (it's a little more than 5 miles) at best 20 minutes and at worst 35   minutes took 1 hour and 20 minutes. Why were we diverted? There was a student protest on Mass. Ave. A couple of hundred demonstrators march up the street then lay down. These are not my pictures.

They were protesting a couple of police shootings. I know people have the right protest and if I was part of it I suppose blocking a major road at rush hour is a great way to garner lots of attention. Still forcing traffic on to other all ready congested roads at rush hour made for a tedious, slow ride home.

I'm still going through some of my old discs that date back 15 years ago. There are some old video's and pictures from back when I started fooling around with a camera. For most of the picture taking expeditions it was Arlene and I. A few were with my friend Dave. Below is a video of Arlene and my short trip to Georges Island in Boston Harbor. There are about 18 islands in the harbor. Several that you can get to by ferry for recreational purposes. Georges island has a fort that was later converted to a prison for confederate soldiers during the civil war. Oddly enough there no footage of the fort. I did take pictures but I don't know where they are at the moment and truthfully it's not very picturesque.



To continue with checking out old pictures and organizing the old ones, This is a slideshow of flower pictures. I don't yet know if this is all of them. They were taken locally and around the Boston area.

 
Well I guess that's it for now. Thanks for visiting. It's now supper time then a trip to a friends house to watch The Soprano's. I never saw it when it was on. I'm 3 episodes into it.
I'm outta here.
 
 

7 comments:

  1. I never saw the Soprano's either, move over, got popcorn?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boston Boy, I surely thought of you yesterday..it was our first snow and it was heavy..i am hoping we do not have a big snowy winter...any of us. Well maybe in the mountain areas of our country. Those protesters need to be baking and making things to sell for the victims of any questionable shootings...there's ways to protest and get points across without being a big pain in everyone's ass. Because I would have to drive around something would not make me more in their favor. Sorry. People need to keep their noses clean and when an officer says stop..well hell stop and zip it....you can have your day in court. I always love seeing your films and photos. I will come back to see the flowers. I saw on the news where Tony Soprano's SUV sold for over a hundred thousand dollars...book price 8,000...duh? I guess the actor signed it in 3 places, but still...doesn't balance out in my blue book. Guess what's on my porch this morning...yes, that damn snow shovel from last year. Agggghh. Blessings to you, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. blessings....
    nice flowers
    inconvenience has become part of life (traffic stuff). I often experience it with subway breakdowns, jumpers etc and takes me better part of 2/3 hours to get home. sadly officers with trigger fingers loaded with their biases is becoming quite problematic and making this difficult for their colleagues who tow the line and act appropriately in the line of duty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The video's where lovely and Georges Island such a lovely place and beautiful day.
    Thank you for sharing your day ...
    Music was soothing to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well all I can say is that I do NOT like the drama between today's police and civilians. The brass-button lovin', and the happy gun toters, are becoming more violent themselves and the brass button haters and disrespectful people are becoming more numerous than ever before. Today's happenings are heart rending and so sad. I really wonder what we have come to. Man's destruction of man seems to be the norm anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And to contradict that, I really enjoyed the Soprano series. In my opinion, it was put out just as close to reality as I ever knew the time to be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I have some strong thoughts about the way things are today. It's whatever you want, whenever you want, and damned the rest.

    ReplyDelete